What life will be like in the future?
1. Make a list of the problems human beings are facing today. 2. What problems do you think people in the future will have overcome? Which ones will still be there or even worse in AD 3005?
Watch the video and find out the topics which are mentioned:
overpopulation noise pollution rubbish
forest disappearin g air pollution white pollution species
water pollution noise pollution soil erosion climate
deforestation air pollution desertification water poor sanitation pollution starvation
poverty war violence
problems the earth is facing: white pollution
overpopulation soil erosion
Read the text carefully and answer the following questions.
1.What did Li Qiang suffer from? How was the problem solved? 2.How did they travel to the year AD 3005? 3.What was the air like there? In what way did people there travel? 4.What were houses like there?
? from? How was 1.What did Li Qiang suffer the problem solved? He suffered from “ time lag”, which means you keep getting flashbacks from your previous time period;some green tablets solved the problem.
2.How did they travel to the year AD 3005? In a time capsule 3.What was the air like there? In what way did people there travel? The air seemed thin as if it had little oxygen left;people there travelled in a hovering carriage driven by computer.
4.What were houses like there? Bright,clean,green,moving walls,brown floor and soft lighting,trees inside room, movable furniture.
Judge whether the following statements are true or false
1.In the year AD 3005,the air in private houses was poor quality. 2.Hovering carriages were a fast means of transport,and people could fly in them in every direction.
3.Li Qiang arrived in a busy town where he got lost.
4.This text is an introduction both to the more advanced forms of transport in AD 3005 but also to the advantages and problems of life in the future.
1.Li Qiang got the chance of having this time travel trip because _______.
A. He had passed the final term exam with a very good result
B. He had written a story about a trip to the year AD 3005 C. He had won a prize D. He had given money to the company of “Future Tours”
2. What do you think of Li Qiang’s trip to the year AD 3005? A. Uninteresting. B. Very exciting. C. Very easy. D. Very cheap.
3. What can we infer from the text? A. Li Qiang felt a bit uncomfortable at first. B. While traveling, there was no one else besides Li Qiang and Wang Ping.
C. It was the first time travel trip for Li Qiang and Wang Ping.
D. Li Qiang regretted having traveled to the year AD 3005.
4. Which of the following statements is NOT true according to the text? A. Wang Ping suffered from “jet lag” when he traveled to the year AD 3005. B. Wang Ping was Li Qiang’s friend and guide. C. Li Qiang lost sight of Wang Ping because there were so many carriages around him. D. Li Mengxi, Wang Ping’s mother, was very hospitable. (好客的)
5. Please choose another title for the text.
A. Visiting Wang Ping’s house. B. Traveling to the future. C. Company of “Future Tours”. D. Feeling in the Time Travel Trip.
Finish comprehending part 1 on Page 19
Bad changes after-effects of travel
Time travel Transport Houses
can travel to different times as you wish can move swiftly save living space busy;look like markets
disorganised;diffi -cult to find way
short of space easy to get lost poor quality in public places
Air quality own family oxygen supply
Did you do anything bad for the environment in your daily life?
What should you do to make our world more beautiful ?
Useful expressions 1.handkerchief 手帕 2.plastic bag 塑料袋 3.recycle 再利用 4.solar energy 太阳能 5.chewing gum 口香糖 6.battery 电池 7.one-off chopsticks 方便筷
1.Using the handkerchief instead of the paper napkin.
2.Using paper bags instead of plastic bags.
3. Don’t use one-off chopsticks. 4. Go to work/school on foot or by bike not by car.
5. Throw cans, bottles, paper and plastic into the dustbin. ……..
Preview language points of this text.