高中英语 Unit 2 Poems Reading A few simple forms of English poems教学设计 新人教版选修6
Unit 2 Poems
Reading: Different types of poems 一、 教学对象分析 本班学生为一级达标校高二年实验班学生。是授课老师班级的学生。他们的英语基础较好，阅读理解 能力和综合运用能力较强。这些学生课堂上与教师的配合比较默契，使这堂活动课的顺利进行有了一个较 好的基础。但是这是高中英语教材中第一次涉及到诗歌话题，学生对此话题的了解较少。 二、 教材内容分析 本课为选修六第二单元课文, 话题为诗歌，体裁为说明文。文中简要介绍了英文诗歌的几种简单易学 的形式，通过介绍和说明诗歌的节奏，韵律，诗歌的设计特点以及创作诗歌的原则来帮助学生了解这一文 学艺术形式。 三、 教学目标 本堂课是作为阅读的一个后续活动，通过一系列任务的设计和完成来实现以下教学目标。 （1）能够欣赏和理解诗歌，并发现，归纳和总结诗歌的特点，并进行一定的模仿，以达到对诗歌的 基本了解； （2）能使用预览，归纳，概括，评价，模仿和创作等策略完成课堂任务； （3）能发挥团队协作学习精神，共同完成课堂活动； （4）能了解诗歌这种艺术形式的意义，培养文化意识。 四、 教学过程 Step I: Lead-in ( 1 min ) Activating and revision T plays a MP3 of Twinkle twinkle little star for students to guess, and lead in the topic of Nursery Rhymes, so that the other 4 forms of poems introduced in the text. [意图说明] 本课使用学生熟悉的童谣作为导入，与文章的第一类诗歌切合，能够快速进入话题。 Step II: Post-reading （20 mins） Activity I: Jigsaw Puzzle (5 mins) [意图说明] 课前要求学生对文章进行预览（preview），对文章的大意以及五种诗歌类型有初步了解，并 能够通过预览所获取的信息参与课堂活动。课堂活动设计 Activity I and II 体现对学生预览的检验。 T hands out many notes indicating different forms of poems, including poems and characteristics, and then T asks Ss to form groups to which they belong by seeking other 5 members holding the similar notes. In this way, Ss are divided into 5 groups, laying foundation for later activities in class. In all the activities, group competition is employed to arouse Ss’ interest to take part in. A B C D E
on Activity 1 Activity 2 Activity 3 Activity 4 Group work rules: Congratulations! You have found your group!! You 6 have found each other to form the group. Now you have the third TASK for further and detailed discussion for ________________. 1. Glue( 粘贴 ) the notes onto the following form accordingly. If necessary, write down more information to make your form more detailed, for example, think of more purposes of the poems. (The form will be shown to the whole class later.) 2. Read all the poems you have and have a group discussion, and then choose one to be the example of your group presentation. Decide on a speaker. By analyzing the example poem, the speaker introduces the style of your poems to other classmates. It is expected that all the most important features of the poem should be included in the presentation. Try to impress your classmates and make your presentation work!!! The following samples may help you organize your speech. Suggested version: The kind of the poem I want to introduce is _____________ / or I want to introduce __________. It is a kind of poem written especially for ____________. or It is a popular form in ___________ (China, Japan......) There are some important features of ____________. Its language is _______________ . / Or it has many rhymes and strong rhythms…… and so on…./ Just take the following poem for an example, …… (show your group’s poem and explain some features you find in the poem. ) A. Nursery Rhymes: 1. Hush, little baby, don’t say a word, Papa’s going to buy you a mockingbird. If that mockingbird won’t sing, Papa’s going to buy you a diamond ring.
If that diamond ring turns to brass, Papa’s going to buy you a looking-glass. If that looking-glass gets broke, Papa’s going to buy you a billy-goat. If that billy-goat runs away, Papa’s going to buy you another today. 2. A Sailor went to Sea. A Sailor went to sea, sea, sea, To see what he could see, see, see, And all that he could see, see, see, Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea. 3. Handy Spandy, Jack-a-Dandy. Handy Spandy, Jack-a-dandy Loves plum cake and sugar candy; He bought some at a grocer's shop, And out he came, hop, hop, hop. Characteristics of nursery rhymes: 4. A common type of children’s poems. 5. The language is concrete but imaginative or sometimes even ridiculous. 6. They delight children because they rhyme, have strong rhythm and many repetition. B. List poems 1. I saw a fish-pond all on fire I saw a fish-pond all on fire I saw a house bow to a squire, I saw a person twelve-feet high, I saw a cottage in the sky,
I saw a balloon made of lead, I saw a coffin drop down dead, I saw two sparrows run a race, I saw two horses making lace, I saw a girl just like a cat, I saw a kitten wear a hat, I saw a man who saw these too, And said though strange they all were true. 2. Bleezer's Ice Cream （Jack Prelutsky, 1940 ） I am Ebenezer Bleezer, I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE, there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before, twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist, why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list: COCOA MOCHA MACARONI TAPIOCA SMOKED BALONEY CHECKERBERRY CHEDDAR CHEW CHICKEN CHERRY HONEYDEW TUTTI-FRUTTI STEWED TOMATO TUNA TACO BAKED POTATO LOBSTER LITCHI LIMA BEAN MOZZARELLA MANGOSTEEN ALMOND HAM MERINGUE SALAMI YAM ANCHOVY PRUNE PASTRAMI SASSAFRAS SOUVLAKI HASH SUKIYAKI SUCCOTASH BUTTER BRICKLE PEPPER PICKLE POMEGRANATE PUMPERNICKEL PEACH PIMENTO PIZZA PLUM
PEANUT PUMPKIN BUBBLEGUM BROCCOLI BANANA BLUSTER CHOCOLATE CHOP SUEY CLUSTER AVOCADO BRUSSELS SPROUT PERIWINKLE SAUERKRAUT COTTON CANDY CARROT CUSTARD CAULIFLOWER COLA MUSTARD ONION DUMPLING DOUBLE DIP TURNIP TRUFFLE TRIPLE FLIP GARLIC GUMBO GRAVY GUAVA LENTIL LEMON LIVER LAVA ORANGE OLIVE BAGEL BEET WATERMELON WAFFLE WHEAT
I am Ebenezer Bleezer, I run BLEEZER'S ICE CREAM STORE, taste a flavor from my freezer, you will surely ask for more. 3. That Explains It! I went to the doctor. He x-rayed my head. He stared for a moment and here’s what he said. “It looks like you’ve got a banana in there, an apple, an orange, a peach, and a pear. I also see something that looks like a shoe, a plate of spaghetti, some fake doggy doo, an airplane, an arrow, a barrel, a chair, a salmon, a camera, some old underwear, a penny, a pickle, a pencil, a pen, a hairy canary, a hammer, a hen, a whistle, a thistle, a missile, a duck, an icicle, bicycle, tricycle, truck. with all of the junk that you have in your head it’s kind of amazing you got out of bed. The good news, at least, is you shouldn’t feel pain. From what I can see here you don’t have a brain.”
Characteristics of list poems: 4. This is a poem which in fact is made up of a list of things. 5. Have a flexible line length and repeated phrases. 6. Some rhymes while others do not. C. Cinquain 1. Brother Beautiful, athletic Teasing, shouting, laughing Friend and enemy too Mine 2. Summer Sleepy, salty Drying, drooping, dreading Week in, week out Endless 3.Puppy Lovely, aggressive Running, barking, eating Friend and family member Always Characteristics of Cinquain: 4. It consists of 5 lines. 5. A strong picture can be conveyed in just a few words. 6. It follows a fixed pattern of words in each line. D. Haiku 1. A fallen blossom
Is coming back to the branch. Look, a butterfly!
2. Snow having melted, The whole village is brimful Of happy children. 3. A black bird takes its Broken wings and learn to fly, Singing in the night. Characteristics of Cinquain: 4. It’s a Japanese form of poetry. 5. It’s made up of 17 syllables. 6. It give a clear picture and create a special feeling using the minimum of words. E. Tang poems 1. Where she awaits her husband On and on the river flows Never looking back Transformed into stone Day by day upon the mountain top Wind and rain revolve. Should the traveller return, This stone would utter speech. -----by Wang jian 2. I'm When To Wang Lun We're stamping about and to sail, singing on shore;
on board; there's
Blossom not so
thousand your by Li
feet love Bai
deep, for me.
Lun, as ---
3. Five-character-ancient-verse A VIEW OF TAISHAN What shall I say of the Great Peak? -The ancient dukedoms are everywhere green, Inspired and stirred by the breath of creation, With the Twin Forces balancing day and night. ...I bare my breast toward opening clouds, I strain my sight after birds flying home. When shall I reach the top and hold All mountains in a single glance? ---- by Du Fu Characteristics of Cinquain: 1. Tang Dynasty. 2. Free form and do not rhyme. 3. English writers’ favorite. Activity II : Summarization and presentation（15 mins） When students find their group members, T explains the task for Ss. Ss are supposed to discuss the certain form of poem in their group and present their discussion to the other 4 groups under T’s guidance. In this way, all the students are more familiar with the five simple forms of poems in the text. [意图说明] 学生在老师设置的任务情境中进行诗歌类型的细节探讨，需要在理解文章的基础上进行信息 的寻找，归纳和概括（summarizing)。在概括环节中，要求学生尽量用自己的语言来进行阐述，并能够对 老师给的材料进行分析和解读。 T’s guidance form:
Form Country Rhyme Rhythm Characteristi cs Purposes Example With the help of the form above, Ss are required to have a specific study on their own style of poem and finally analyze an extra example poem (not the examples in the text passage) with all the supporting factors. After discussing, a speaker is chosen to present the result. When summarizing the characteristics or introduce the certain style of poem, Ss are required to use their own language based on the comprehension of the text. Sample: Nursery rhymes: Form Country Rhyme Rhythm Nurser Rhymes English-speaking countries Yes Yes 1. Intended for kids; Characteristi cs 2.Concrete/specific/detailed, imaginative/full of imagination, ridiculous/ funny language. Purposes 1. To make children happy;
2. To create an easy but fun atmosphere for children to learn language. A Sailor went to sea, sea, sea, Example (suggested) To see what he could see, see, see, And all that he could see, see, see, Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea.
Form Country Rhyme Rhythm
List poems English-speaking countries Some do while some don’t. Yes 1. It is actually a list of things.
2. It doesn’t have a fixed line length and a certain pattern to follow. ...... 1. To express a certain feeling.
2. To describe a person or a scene. ...... I went to the doctor. He x-rayed my head. He stared for a moment and here’s what he said. “It looks like you’ve got a banana in there, an apple, an orange, a peach, and a pear.
I also see something that looks like a shoe, a plate of spaghetti, some fake doggy doo, an airplane, an arrow, a barrel, a chair, a salmon, a camera, some old underwear, a penny, a pickle, a pencil, a pen, a hairy canary, a hammer, a hen,
a whistle, a thistle, a missile, a duck, an icicle, bicycle, tricycle, truck. with all of the junk that you have in your head it’s kind of amazing you got out of bed. The good news, at least, is you shouldn’t feel pain. From what I can see here you don’t have a brain.”
Form Country Rhyme Rhythm
Cinquain English-speaking countries No No 1. It follows a fixed pattern of words in each line: one word, 2
adjectives, 3 V-ing, 4 words and one word. 2. It is made up of 5 lines. 3. It can convey a strong picture with just a few words. 1. To describe a person or a scene;
Purposes 2. To convey a certain emotion; Puppy Lovely, aggressive Example Running, barking, eating (suggested) Friend and family member Always
Country Rhyme Rhythm
Japan No No 1. It is not a traditional form of English poetry.
2. It consists of 17 syllables ...... 1. To describe an aspect of a season or an impressive scene. 2. To show one’s emotion using just a few words, by demonstrating something. ...... A black bird takes its
Example Broken wings and learn to fly, (suggested) Singing in the night.
Form Country Rhyme Rhythm
Tang Poems China Uncertain. Uncertain. 1. It is from China, especially Tang Dynasty.
2. It doesn’t have a certain pattern to follow. 3. The style is flexible. ......
1. To describe people or scenery; 2. To convey certain emotions; Purposes 3. To record something particular in the poet’s life; ...... A VIEW OF TAISHAN What shall I say of the Great Peak? -The ancient dukedoms are everywhere green, Inspired and stirred by the breath of creation, With the Twin Forces balancing day and night. Example ...I bare my breast toward opening clouds, I strain my sight after birds flying home. When shall I reach the top and hold All mountains in a single glance? ---- by Du Fu Step III. Thinking, talking and evaluating. (8 mins) [意图说明] 在前几个活动的基础上，老师提出一些与诗歌相关的问题，以引起学生对于较深层次的思考 和一定的评价（evaluating）,也为下一个环节作铺垫。 After Ss present their discussion, T guide Ss to think over the following questions: (1) Why do sometimes English writers love translating foreign poems? (2) Is it necessary for all English poems to have rhyme or rhythm? (3) Do you notice any rhetoric (修辞手法) or some special grammatical structures in these poems? (4) How do you like the value of poetry in culture and its influence on people’s life?
No, it is not necessary. There are actually different forms of poetry in English literature. Some follow a fixed or a certain pattern while some have free style. Take what we read in this class for example, Cinquain as well as Haiku don’t necessarily thyme and rhythm. However, as
for nursery rhymes and list poems, they usually rhyme and rhythm so that they can be impressive and create a vivid atmosphere.
Step IV: Imitating and creating. (11 mins) [意图说明] 模仿和创作 (Imitating and creating)。鼓励学生在了解几种简单的诗歌形式和规律之后， 进行简单的模仿和创作，将他们所发现的规则和规律运用到自己的创作中。 Since the text introduces the simplest forms of poetry, Ss can imitate writing down their own poems. They are supposed to create List poems, Cinquain and Haiku which are easier to follow. Ss present their works after writing. Step V: Homework assignment. 1. Make a further study on the form of poetry you are interested in. 2. Improve writing the poem you do in class. 3. Try to learn more about poetry.
P.S.: Students’ works of poems: I. List poems If there were twenty-five hours a day, I I I I I I I I might might might might might might might might spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend the the the the the the the the extra extra extra extra extra extra extra extra hour hour hour hour hour hour hour hour doing sports. doing house-work doing a study watching a movie reviewing my lessons playing my instruments playing computer games talking with my friends.
Or I might just sleep, sleep and sleep If I had an extra hour a day. II. Cinquain 1. Sea Vast, blue Exciting, interesting, charming Tide rises and ebbs Scenic 2. Winter Cold, sleepy Snowing, drying, laughing
Month in, month out Endless 3. Friendship Subtle, firm Smelling, weeping, struggling I am always here Everlasting III. Haiku The sixteen night’s moon Pours its last light which dissolves Into endless night.
Cinquain: Joanna Toddling, babbling, doodling, Day in, day out, Grown List poem: I work as an English teacher I work as an English teacher in a high school, I get up at 6 a.m. every morning, I go to work by bus or on foot, I have two classes from 7:30 to 9 a.m., I collect homework and check it, I have a break in the office, I prepare for my next lesson, I surf the Internet for information, I type the examination paper for students, I hand out homework and go back home at 6 p.m., I still think about my lessons at home, I go to bed thinking my not being late for tomorrow I fall asleep at 10:30 p.m. and dream about students
I work as an English teacher in this school,
Endless as teaching may seem,
I love it, and I love my students.