高中英语必修四 Unit5 单词讲解 1)theme n. [C] 1. The main theme of discussion was press censorship. (新闻审查制度)。 2. The theme of the poem is love and peace. 3. Our school themes must be written in ink and on white paper. 2)central (adj.) 1. The railroad station is in the central part of the city. 2. The head office is in the central part of the city. 3. What's the central idea of the article? center (n.) 1.Alice stood in the center of a large group. 2. Our city is the industry center of the country. 3)various (adj.) 1. Everyone arrived late at the party for various reasons. 2. Wheat is grown in various parts of the country. vary (vt.) (vi.) 1. He never varied his habits. 2. Teachers should vary their lessons to make them more interesting. That sort of thing varies from person to person. Variety （n.） 1. What other ways do you know to add variety? 2.People like to live a life full of variety. 3.He has a variety of interests. 4. Hospitals deal with diseases of every variety. 4)be famous for be famous as 5)whichever (pron.) &(adj. ) 1. She'll buy whichever is cheapest. 2.Whichever you like is yours. 3.Whichever did you choose? 4. You'll find deer crossings whichever road you take. 5.Whichever side wins, I shall be satisfied. 6)fantasy (n.)
1. George lives in a world of fantasy. 2. The whole story is a fantasy. fancy n.& vt. 1. He took a fancy to the girl next door. 迷恋。 2. She has a lively fancy. 想像力。 3. Fancy sitting in the sun all day! 4.Fancy her saying a thing like that! 5.I fancy he's pretty happy. 6.What do you fancy for dinner? 7.I don't fancy walking in the rain. 喜欢 7)amusement (n.) 1. To our amusement, the actor jumped on and off the stage. 2.Reading and seeing movies are among my amusements. 3.They often sing for their own amusement. 自娱。 amuse (vt.) (+at/by/with)] 1.A clown's job is to amuse the spectators. 2. It was too rainy to play outside, so she amused herself with a book. 3.He amused himself by playing the flute. 吹笛 amusing (adj.) 1.It was amusing to watch the trained elephants perform. 2.He told amusing jokes after dinner. amused (adj.) 1. The audience was amused by the performance. 2. She wore on her face an amused look. 8)swing (n.) &vt. 1. The swing of the ship made many people seasick. 2. The children are playing on the swings in the park. 3. He swings his arms as he walks. 4.The lamp swung in the breeze. 5. He swung around and shouted at me. (人等)转向,转身[Q][(+round)] 9)attraction (n.) 1. Detective novels used to hold a special attraction for me. 2.The elephants were the chief attraction at the circus. 3. The attraction of the moon for the earth causes the tides. attract (vt.)
1. The garden city attracts many tourists. 2.A magnet attracts both iron and steel. 磁铁吸铁也吸钢。 3.Jim was attracted to the Italian girl. 4.The salesman banged a drum to attract a crowd. 10)no wonder 1. No wonder you can't sleep when you eat so much. 11)tourism (n.)= the tourist industry tourist (n.) 1.San Francisco is full of tourists in the summer. tour (n.) [(+around/of)] 1.Mr. Adams made a tour around East Asia last year. 2. Their troupe is on tour in the South. 剧团 vi. [(+around)] 1.Many Americans tour by car in summer. 2. I'd like to tour in companies that go round the country.
12)wherever conj. & adv. 1. Wherever one goes, there's always a spy hanging about. 2.We'll go wherever you like. 3. Wherever it is possible, he tries to help. 4.I'd like to go to Paris, Milan, or wherever. 5.Wherever did you get the book? 13)unique (adj.) 1. [(+to)] 1.The custom is unique to the region.
2. Beethoven's symphony is unique in music. 交响曲 3. Her style of writing is rather unique. 4.The designs are unique. 14)bald (adj.) 1. When he grew bald he bought a toupee. 假发。 2. He's as bald as a coot. 他濯濯童山。 3.Your tire is bald and unsafe. 4.This is a bald falsehood.谎言。 5.He gave a bald statement of the facts. 15)preserve( vt.) & n. 1. [(+from)] Oil preserves metal from rust.
2. We have taken effective measures to preserve our natural resources. 3.We preserve fish in salt. 4.Mother used to make peach preserves. 5. No hunting is allowed in the preserve. 16)length (n.) 1. The fish is two feet in length. 2. The length of the movie is two hours. 3. We walked the length of the street. 4. The horse won the race by two-and-a-half lengths. 5.We need a length of pipe. 一节 -length(构成复合形容词) 1. )表示"长度的","距离的"(如:knee-length 至膝盖长的,feature- length(电影)正片长度的(即约 2 小时)) 17)deed (n.) 1. Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves. 2.I have the deed to the house. 我有这所房子的房契。 18)be modelled after 19)tournament (n.) Our team won the championship in the basketball tournament
20)settler (n.) They were the earliest settlers in America settle (vt) & vi. 1. He settled his child in a corner of the compartment. 车厢 2. After the excitement I tried to settle myself. 3.I've settled that I'll drop medicine and take up physics. 4.Both wanted to settle their scores. 前嫌。 5.The question has been settled. 6. The powder settled to the bottom of the cup. 7. [(+down/to)] She cannot settle to work. 8.The family has settled in Canada. 21)athletic (adj.) 1.The school athletic meet is to be held next Tuesday. 2. John is an athletic boy. He is good at running. athlete (n.) eg.The athlete won two gold medals in the Olympics. 22)translator (n.) translate (vt.) 1.The novel has been translated into many languages.
2. I translate his silence as a refusal. 3. They started to translate into action the dreams of African unity. 4. After the war he was translated to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 外交部 translation (n.) 1.He read Eugene O'Neill's plays in translation. 2. a French translation of A Farewell to Arms 《永别了,武器》 3. a translation of ideas into action 23)minority n. ------ majority n. 24)cloth n. 1.five yards of cloth 25)advance vt.&vi. n.
2.a piece of cloth
1.The president has done his utmost to advance the national interest.最大努力 2. The date of the meeting was advanced by four days. 3. We will advance him some money for traveling expenses. 4. The theory was advanced by an American professor. 5. He was soon advanced to the position of CEO. 6. The bank advanced him 20,000 dollars to start his business. vi. 1. She advanced on him silently. 2. We had greatly advanced in our knowledge of the world. 3. He advanced shortly to a full professor. 4. Rice has advanced fifteen cents a pound. n. 1. The advance of the enemy troops was halted by a heavy snow. 2. Remarkable advances have been made in space science. 3. Her colleagues were all surprised at her rapid advance in the company. 4. He was given an advance of fifty dollars on his salary. 5. He did not respond to her advances. adj. 1. We sent advance copies of the new course book to the teacher and the students who were to use it. 2. I have received an advance payment. Advanced adj. 1. an advanced position 一处前沿阵地 2. Ancient Greece was an advanced civilization. 3. My younger sister studied advanced math.
4. His grandfather died at an advanced age of 98. 26)in advance 1.The guard of honor marched in advance. 2. I ought to have told you in advance. 27)brand n. 1. This brand of tea is my favorite. 2. He has his own brand of humor 28)get close to 29)come to life eg. The wounded soldier came to life again. 30)outing n. eg.think we should postpone the outing.
31)admission (n.) eg. 1.She has the qualifications for admission to the college 2.He made an admission that he had used threatening behavior. admit v. 1. You must admit the task to be difficult. 2.We have to admit that he's a highly competent man. 3.I admitted breaking the window. 4. No one but ticket-holders was admitted. 5. The theater admits 1000 people. vi. 1. I must admit to feeling ashamed of my conduct. 2. This matter admits of no delay. 32)shuttle n. &v. 1.The shuttle moves backwards and forwards through the warp. 2.We shuttled the passengers to the city center by helicopter. 33)freeway n.