BOOK2 UNIT5 Learning about language_图文
Unit 5 Music
Learning about language
Discovering useful words and expressions
1. Find the word or expression for each of the following meanings from the text. musical instrument 1._________________ something used to make music 2._________ person whose job is to play musician or write music 3.________ to imagine something would dream of come true
4.passer-byperson going past ________ 5.___________ to tell exactly what one thinks. to be honest
break up 6.________ to go away in different directions
7. ______ to connect something with another attach
8. _____ to receive money for what you do earn
9.______ paid in money but not by cheque in cash
3. Complete this passage with the words and phrases below in their proper forms:
extra millionaire pub humorous
studio broadcast dream of familiar
play a joke on
dreamed of Susan and I loved jazz and we __________ becoming musicians. We decided to form a band so that we could earn some _____ extra pub money by playing and singing in a ____. The regulars there were very kind to us. They suggested we go to record our songs studio in a ______. We wondered if they were playing a joke on _______________ us as they were often very __________ to each other. humorous
However, to our great surprise, everything was organized and we made our record. Imagine our excitement when broadcast we heard it _________ on the radio for the first time! It was almost as exciting as millionaires later when we became ___________. Now whenever we go to the pub, we play our songs and buy drinks for the regulars. Although we are famous, we still like to play in familiar places. _______
The Attributive Clause (prep + which/whom)
Underline the attributive clauses in the text that contain prep + whom/which. 1. Have you ever dreamed of playing in front of thousands of people at a
concert, at which everyone is clapping
and appreciating your music?
2. They may start as a group of highschool students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame. 3. Later they may give performances in pubs or clubs, for which they are paid in cash.
4. The musicians were to play jokes on each other as well as play music, most of which was based loosely on the Beatles. 5. However, after a year or so in which they became more serious about their work, the Monkees started to play and sing their own songs like a real band.
6. They produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former
time as a real band.
介词+which/whom引导的定语从句用于 正式场合。在这一结构中，关系代词 which/whom做介词的宾语。当先行词是 人时，用介词+whom引导定语从句，例 如： They may start as a group of high-school students, for whom practising their music in someone’s house is the first step to fame.
当先行词是物时，用介词+which引导定 语从句，而且只能加which，不能加that， 例如： They produced a new record in 1996,
with which they celebrated their former
time as a real band.
介词的选择 1. 根据介词和定语从句中谓语动词的习 惯搭配。例如： 1) Who is the man with whom you just shook hands？ 2) In the dark street there wasn’t a single person _____ she could turn for help。 D A. that B. who C. from whom D. to whom
解析：答案为 D 。介词 to 和定语从句 中的 turn 构成固定搭配 turn to sb for help意为“向某人求助”。 2. 根据定语从句意思的需要，此时不但 要注意其前的搭配也要注意其后的搭 配。例如： He had a bad cold, because of which he didn’t attend the meeting。
In the office I never seem to have time until after 5:30pm many people have got home. A. whose time B. that C. on which D. by which 解析：答案为 D 。根据句意“到下午 5 :30 时，许多人已经到家了”，且定语 从句中又用了完成时，故应用介词 by。
后；二是位于句尾或动词后。 The lady to whom Mr Smith is talking
lost her purse. = The lady whom Mr
Smith is talking to lost her purse.
The house where we put our tools is going to be rebuilt.
=The house in which we put our tools is going to be rebuilt. =The house (that/which) we put our tools in is going to be rebuilt.
Bob found the dictionary (that) I had been looking for.
when，where 和 why 互换。
This is the house in which I lived two years ago.
This is the house where I lived two years ago.
4. whose可转换为“ of +关系代词”型。
They live in a house, whose door opens to the south. They lived in a house, of which the door opens to the south. They lived in a house, the door of which open to the south.
实战演习 Fill in the blanks with prepositions. 1. The sun gives us heat and light, _______ which we can’t live. without about 2. The student _____ whom we were talking is the best student in our class. 3. I’ll never forget the day ___ which she on said good-bye to me.
4. Who can give me the reason ____ for which he hasn’t turned up yet? 5. In the dark street, there wasn’t a single person to whom she could turn _______ for help. 6. He paid the boy $10 for washing the windows, most of which hadn’t been ____________ cleaned for at least a year.
高考链接 1. Human facial expressions differ from those of animals in the degree ______ B they can be controlled on purpose. [2009 重庆卷] A. with which B. to which
C. of which
D. for which
2. Last week, only two people came to D look at the house, ______ wanted to buy it. [2008 安徽卷] A. none of them B. both of them C. none of whom D. neither of whom
3. Eric received training in computer
for one year, _____ he found a job in B a big company. [2009辽宁卷] A. after that
C. after it
B. after which
D. after this
4. He was educated at the local high school, ______ he went on to Beijing A University. [2010 江苏卷]
A. after which
B. after that
C. in which
D. in that
5. It is reported that two schools, ____ D are being built in my hometown, will open next year. [2008四川卷] A. they both B. which both C. both of them D. both of which
Find more information about the
attributive clause and remember