language points book8 unit4_图文
重点句型 1. While watching, he makes notes. 他一边观察, 一边做笔记。 ▲ while watching 为while he waswatching 省 略句。在以when, while, if, unless等引导的 状语从句中,如果从句中的主语与主句主语 一致且从句谓语动词含有be动词的形式,往 往将从句中的主语及be动词省略,而以动词 的-ing形式或过去分词形式来代替。
① After finishing the work, he went home. 完成工作后他就回家了。 ② After being discussed, the plan should be carried out at once. 计划讨论后, 应立即实施。 ③ While crossing the street, look out for cars passing by. 过马路时, 小心过路车辆。
1) When_____ D help, one often says “Thank you.”
or “It’s kind of you.”
B. to offer
C. to be offered80 D. offered D , the play must be examined by 2) Before______ the director. A. putting on B. to be put on C. put on D. being put on
A 3) Never_____ faith in himself, the scientist went on with his research. A. losing B. to lose C. lost D. to be lost 4) --What’s the matter with you? --_____ D the window, my finger was cut unexpectedly. A. Cleaning B. To clean C. While cleaning D. While I was cleaning
told 5) Although _______(tell) to stop, he kept on working. invited 6) Unless _______(invite) to speak, you’d better keep silent in the meeting. 仿写：当过河的时，他看到了一条大鱼。
While crossing the river, he saw a big fish.
重点词汇 ? Professor Higgins (H): an expert in phonetics, convinced that the quality of a person’s English decides his/her position in society. 希金斯教授是一位语音学专家, 他认为一个人的 英语水平决定这个人的社会地位。
1）convince vt. 说服; 使相信, 说动某人 convince sb to do sth 我们说服了他坐火车去, 不要搭飞机去。 We ______________________ rather than plan
convinced him to go by train
2）(be) convinced + of 短语/ that 从句 “坚信…”;“确信…”。 我确信他有罪。(提示: guilty (adj.); guilt (n.) he is guilty I am convinced that________________. his guilt I am convinced of _________________. 3) convince (vt.) sb + of 短语/that 从句, “使… 坚信…”; “使…确信…”。 我不认为她的强作欢颜能使她父亲相信她在那 个小孤岛上过得开心。 I don’t think her forced smile will convince her father that she lives happily _________________________________ on that small lonely island.
3.A gentleman passes and hesitates for a moment. hesitate v. 犹豫, 踌躇 hesitate to do sth. 对做某事犹豫不决 hesitate about doing sth. 对做某事犹豫不决 hesitation n. 犹豫 ___________ _______________ without hesitation 毫不犹豫 D 1) 单选：I always hesitate _____ advising my friends on what to read. A. with B. to C. for D. about
2) Without ______ any hesitation Meng xiangbin jumped into the river to save the drowning young women. hesitation 3) I would have no________ （hesitate）in declining the post. 4) 翻译:如果你有问题，请不要犹豫尽管来问我。 _____________________________________ If you have any question, don’t hesitate ___________________________________ to come to ask me.
3.原文：Simply phonetics studied and classified from people’s own speech. classified adj. 分类的，机密的 ___________ classification ___________ n.分类 1)翻译：People who work in libraries spend a lot of time classifying books. 图书管理员花很多时间对书籍进行分类。 _______________________________________ 2)The books in the library are ________ classified (classify) by subject. 3)The _______（classify）of diseases is a bit complicated. classification
5.原文：I thought maybe you was a policeman in disguise. in disguise 意为“乔装” 这个皇帝喜欢微服私访。 in disguise The emperor liked to traveled____________. 联想扩展: in need of 意思是“需要”。 1)他需要理发了。He is ____________ a haircut. in need of 2)他需要我们的帮助。 He is always in need of our help. ________________________________________ in need 意思是“在困难(穷困)中”。例如： 我们应该帮助那些贫困的人。 We should help those in need. ________________________________________
6. 原文：Here you are (hands over the paper covered with writing). hand over 移交; 让与; 交给某人照料 The captain was unwilling to hand over the command of his ship. 船长不愿移交军舰的指挥权。 翻译：小偷被交给警察处理。 The thief was handed over to the police. ______________________________________ 扩展：hand 有关的短语 hand down 传给 hand on 传递 hand up 举手 hand out 分给, 分发
7. 原文：But they betray themselves every time they open their mouths. 1)betray oneself 无意中露出本性; 背叛 相当多的人面对金钱的诱惑便原形毕露。 Quiet a lot of people betrayed themselves when ________________________________ tempted by money. 2) vt. 泄露(秘密) betray + n. + to 出卖, 暴露 ①他向所有的朋友透露了这个消息。 He betrayed the news to all his friends. _______________________________________ ②他的最好的朋友背叛了他。 His best friend betrayed him. ________________________________________ ③When he spoke, his accent at once betrayed the fact that he was a foreigner 暴露 ___________________________________( 了他是一个外国人的事实）.
8. 原文：The English that will condemn her to the gutter to the end of her days. condemn vt. 谴责 condemn sb. / sth. 谴责某人/某事 大部分人谴责任何形式的暴力行为。 Most people condemned any form of violence. ______________________________________ 被判死刑 be condemned to death be sentenced to death 那个罪犯被判处死刑。 The criminal was condemned to death. _____________________________________
3) condemn sb. to do sth. 迫使……..接受 困境（或不愉快的情况） They are condemned to live a hard life. ________________________________ （他们被迫过着）a life of hardship.
探究点三：重点短语 1.原文：But, sir, (proudly) once educated to speak properly, the girl could pass herself off in three months as a duchess at an ambassador’s garden party. pass …off as 冒充 她冒充自己是位有经验的演员。 She passed herself off as an experienced _______________________________________ actress. 扩展：pass off 逐渐消失; 不加理会; (进展)顺利 1.你的牙疼还没消吗？ Have your toothache passed off yet？ _______________________________________
2.他回避了那个难问题。 He passed off that difficult question. ________________________________________ 3.舞会进展顺利。 The ball passed off well. _______________________________________ 去世 pass away_____________ 把……传给后世 pass down/on_________________ 昏过去; 失去知觉 pass out__________________ 把…传递给 pass …on to__________________ 通过; 穿过 pass through______________ 走过; 不理会 pass by_________________
2.原文： I came to England to make your acquaintance. acquaintance n. 相识; 了解 acquaint vt. 短语： have some acquaintance with 认识……..；懂得 make one’s acquaintance 结识某人 some acquaintance with懂得) the I have ____________________( language. make his acquaintance 2）Where did you_____________________ （与他认识的）?
扩展：have a nodding acquaintance with sb. 与某人为点头之交 only have a nodding acquaintance with him I________________________________ （跟他 只是点头之交）. Practice: 1. The musician had little acquaintance B _____ modern science. A. in B. with C. to D. of D your acquaintance. 2. I am delighted to _____ A. pull B. take C. have D. make
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示, 写出该单词的正确形式。 1. A police o_____ fficer (军官)came to our help when our car broke down on the way. 2. If you _______ hesitate (犹豫) too much, you’ll lose the game. 3. The law has been c_________( ondemned 谴责) as an attack on personal liberty.
4. He always travels first class, because he says tourist class is too u____________( ncomfortable 不舒服的). 5. He is not a friend, only a (n) ____________ acquaintance (熟人). 6. The talks had a better o_______( utcome 结果) than we had originally hoped.
7. The new ambassador ___________ (大使) is highly experienced in international diplomacy. 8. He received a large f______ ortune (大笔的钱) when his uncle died. 9. He who b_____ etrays (背叛)his country must be punished. 10. I had to d_____ ismiss (开除,遣散)him, for he lost so much time and money.
II. 根据句意, 从方框内选择适当的形容 词填空。 superior; troublesome; mistaken;
1. My cough is rather___________ troublesome
today, which makes me very painful.
2. I thought he said 12 o’clock, but I
might have been mistaken ________.
superior; troublesome; mistaken; confused; brilliant 3. He is good at writing and expressing
himself and his composition is far superior to mine. _______ 4. The question is so hard, and we’re confused getting ________. 5. You are so clever and brilliant _______ that my
poor efforts are put into the shade.
语法填空 1.has become 2.left 3.others 4.running 5.without 6.that 7.If 8.shortage 9.to read 10.our